Aircraft Assembly Mechanic
Oshkosh, WI 54902
Full-Time (40+ hrs), Non-Exempt
Join our growing staff of Aircraft Assembly Mechanics!
If you’re looking for an energetic, dynamic workplace outside of “Big Aerospace” with variety and opportunity, Sonex is the place for you. Whether you’re an established aircraft technician or A&P, or you are looking to focus your mechanical experience on a new career in aviation, we want to hear from you. Sonex Assembly Mechanics build Quick Build Kits for Sonex customers, construct Sonex Aerospace unmanned aircraft, and help to build new aircraft design prototypes. Sonex is a small business with a family atmosphere. Sonex shop staff work on a wide variety of airframe assemblies and tasks with ample opportunity to see many facets of the Sonex operation and “learn by osmosis.” The cream rises to the top at Sonex, and with talent, drive and a passion for aviation, Sonex employees can grow to their full potential within the organization.
Relevant Work Experience
1-2 years of experience in the construction and/or maintenance of aircraft.
High School Diploma
Sonex Aircraft, LLC sells aircraft kits, engines and accessories for recreational pilots to assemble at-home, take to the airport and fly! With over 40 years of experience, Sonex Aircraft provides well engineered products with outstanding performance at an affordable price. This is all possible via the FAA’s rules governing Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft, which can be designed, built and flown by amateurs for the purpose of their own education and recreation. Within the scope of those rules, Sonex Aircraft is able to produce Quick Build Kits which take our aircraft kits to an advanced level of construction for the customer — just under the limit of what a kit manufacturer can provide vs. what an amateur builder must build themselves to make the project a legal Amateur-Built aircraft.
Sonex Aerospace, LLC is a spin-off company of Sonex Aircraft focused on designing and building Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for commercial and government customers. Applying the Sonex design and engineering philosophy & heritage to the most exciting and rapidly expanding segment of the aviation marketplace, Sonex Aerospace is expanding its product line to bring the same outstanding economy and performance to the unmanned aircraft world.
Responsibilities/Duties/Functions/Tasks include (but are not limited to)
- Manage a wide variety of tasks working with Sonex team members.
- Document what has been completed and actively shuffle projects in priority provided by supervisors.
- Construction of QuickBuild portions of experimental aircraft
- Construction of metalwork assemblies for prototype experimental aircraft
- Construction of metalwork assemblies for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience reading and interpreting blue prints.
- Experience & proficiency with basic metalworking/shop tools & equipment, such as:
- Measuring Tools
- Hand Drill
- Drill Press
- Metal Snips
- Bending Pliers
- Bending Brakes
- Strong organizational, analytical and motivational skills along with an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, performance-based environment.
- Ability to solicit feedback to improve service, respond to requests for assistance, and meet commitments.
- Effective written, verbal and interpersonal skills are necessary.
- Self-management skills required.
- Occasional mandatory overtime and Saturday shifts
- Travel required: 0%
- Lifting Required: 50lbs+
- Standing for long periods of time.
- Associate or Bachelor’s in aviation related major (A&P Mechanic, Flight School, etc.)
- Experience in the construction and/or maintenance of aircraft, or other mechanical/metal work/manufacturing or fabrication projects. Sonex is interested in hearing about personal projects too!
- Pilot license or flight training hours is highly desirable, but not required.
Range: Up-to $30 hourly, DOE
- Health Insurance (Sonex covers employee premium 100%)
- Portable Plans: Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, etc.
- Safe Harbor (Sonex provides 3%)
- Paid Time Off
- Holiday Pay
- Employee Discount
- Direct Deposit
- Candidates responding to this posting must currently possess the eligibility to work in the United States.
- Valid Driver’s License
- 18 YOA or older
How to Apply:
- Submit resume, compensation requirements and references to Sonex Human Resources via our Contact Form.
- Complete the Online Application.
No phone calls, please.