Paid Internship – Aircraft Assembly Technician
Oshkosh, WI 54902
Get Hands-On Aviation Career Experience!
Whether you’re enrolled as a student pursuing your A&P, an engineering student looking to gain hands-on aircraft experience, or an established worker looking to try a career change to the aerospace field on for size, this is a great opportunity to enhance your education with new skills & experience while adding a great item to your resume! Past Sonex interns and employees have landed full-time positions with Sonex, Mike Goulian Aviation, Blue Hawaiian Helicopters, Virgin Galactic, Gulfstream, Textron and others. Interns work side-by-side with full-time mechanics, engineers and managers to build Sonex Aircraft Quick Build Kits for customers, construct Sonex Aerospace unmanned aircraft, and build new aircraft design prototypes. Unlike “Big Aerospace,” Sonex is a small organization and Sonex shop staff and interns work on a wide variety of airframe assemblies and tasks with ample opportunity to see many facets of the Sonex operation and “learn by osmosis.”
Relevant Work Experience
Sonex, LLC sells aircraft kits, engines and accessories for recreational pilots to assemble at-home, take to the airport and fly! With over 40 years of experience, Sonex provides well engineered products with outstanding performance at an affordable price. This is all possible via the FAA’s rules governing Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft, which can be designed, built and flown by amateurs for the purpose of their own education and recreation. Within the scope of those rules, Sonex is able to produce Quick Build Kits which take our aircraft kits to an advanced level of construction for the customer — just under the limit of what a kit manufacturer can provide vs. what an amateur builder must build themselves to make the project a legal Amateur-Built aircraft.
Sonex Aerospace is a product line of Sonex, LLC focused on designing and building Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for commercial and government customers. Applying the Sonex design and engineering philosophy & heritage to the most exciting and rapidly expanding segment of the aviation marketplace, Sonex Aerospace is expanding its product line to bring the same outstanding economy and performance to the unmanned aircraft world.
Responsibilities/Duties/Functions/Tasks include (but are not limited to)
- Manage a wide variety of tasks working with Sonex team members.
- Document what has been completed and actively shuffle projects in priority provided by supervisors.
- Construction of QuickBuild portions of experimental aircraft
- Construction of metalwork assemblies for prototype experimental aircraft
- Construction of metalwork assemblies for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
- Other duties as assigned
- Candidate pursuing career in related field (A&P Mechanic, Flight School, or other aviation-related career).
- Occasional evenings and weekends
- Travel required: 0%
- Lifting Required: 50lbs+
- Standing for long periods of time.
- Experience in the construction and/or maintenance of aircraft, or other mechanical/metal work/manufacturing or fabrication projects. Sonex is interested in hearing about personal projects too!
- Ability to solicit feedback to improve service, respond to requests for assistance, and meet commitments.
- Strong organizational, analytical and motivational skills along with an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, performance-based environment.
- Pilot license or flight training hours is highly desirable, but not required.
- Experience reading and interpreting blue prints.
- Experience & proficiency with basic metalworking/shop tools & equipment, such as:
- Measuring Tools
- Hand Drill
- Drill Press
- Metal Snips
- Bending Pliers
- Bending Brakes
- Candidates responding to this posting must currently possess the eligibility to work in the United States.
- Valid Driver’s License
- 18 YOA or older
How to Apply:
- Submit resume, compensation requirements and references to Sonex Human Resources via our Contact Form.
- Complete the Online Application.
No phone calls, please.